FGWA represents all segments of the ground water industry and devotes its entire efforts to the promotion and protection of Florida’s ground water professionals and our ground water resources.
Annual Convention & Trade Show
The annual convention and trade show is held the first weekend of May of every year. This is the largest convention for the groundwater industry in the state of Florida. Your FGWA membership provides you with meeting registration discount. The convention includes exhibits, demonstrations of new products, CE approved continuing education courses, and an opportunity to meet colleagues and exchange ideas with other ground water professionals.
In addition to the annual meeting in May, Membership Meetings are held in the Spring and Fall at various locations throughout Florida. This is a two hour meeting approved for CE credit that includes a business meeting followed by an educational program. These meetings are completely free to members.
The Driller is the ofﬁcial voice of the ground water industry in Florida and contains news of interest, including safety and business tips, and updates on legislative and regulatory matters.
The John Kriska Memorial Scholarship Fund was established by a group of donors in the 1970’s to honor respected Florida Ground Water Association officer John Kriska, who died in a tragic car accident. Since its inception over thirty years ago, the scholarship has transformed from a privately funded scholarship to being financed by FGWA. Since its inception in 1976, the FGWA has granted over 152 college scholarships totaling over $129,000 to students who are relatives of FGWA members.
FGWA is recognized by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection and the five Water Management Districts as a major and knowledgeable stakeholder in the protection and management of Florida’s ground water resources. The diversity of its goals, objectives, and achievements make it unique among professional associations.
FGWA members play a vital and ongoing role in the DEP Workgroup Committee in representing the interests of water well contractors when proposed rules and regulations are under consideration. FGWA works closely with lobbyists to advocate legislatively on issues that impact our industry and your business.
Through mail, email and fax FGWA is constantly striving to keep you up-to-date on information about new products, industry information and legislative happenings that are important to your organization and the ground water industry.
Continuing Education (CE) Discount Program
The FGWA works directly with Approved CE Providers in Florida to offer discounts to the membership. To find out more and see which Providers participate in the program, please contact the FGWA office.
FGWA Supplier Members Will Also Receive:
Discounted Advertising in the Florida Driller Magazine
The Driller is published quarterly and sent to over 700 drillers, governmental agencies and other professionals in the ground water industry. At no cost, you may also submit technical articles for inclusion in the magazine and have a 1 page highlight of your company.
Discounted Sponsorship and Exhibit Booths
Be seen at the largest ground water convention and trade show in Florida, and one of the top in the country. Sponsor one of the two Quarterly Membership Meetings and have the opportunity to present a 1 hour educational session.
Discounted Website and Email Advertising
Promote your company on the FGWA’s website, sponsor one of FGWA’s monthly e-newsletters or market your company in our Supplier email campaigns that are sent to over 400 members to help promote everything from Press Releases to Specials to New Product Releases.
What FGWA Has Done for the Ground Water Industry and You
Our successes and activities include the following:
- For over 20 years, with the goal of fighting unreasonable regulations dealing with water well construction, we have improved communications with DEP, the five Water Management Districts, and the Florida Department of Health by our vigorous participation in the Work Group Committee.
- FGWA members have participated in numerous workshops and regulatory meetings to provide input regarding the updating of the state-wide citation dictionary and penalty guidelines.
- FGWA has strongly supported online permitting and opposed further delegation of permitting to local government entities.
- FGWA played a significant role in passing HB999 which eliminates duplicate licenses and permits and limits well construction permitting to the WMD’s, DEP and only delegated local governments.
- FGWA was instrumental in getting language included into state statutes chapter 373 to allow water well contractors to install pumps, water tanks, and water conditioning equipment.
- FGWA has a paid lobbyist in Tallahassee representing our position on issues important to our industry, and actively pursuing the adoption of legislation needed by our industry.
- FGWA has a Membership Defense Committee, whose purpose is to provide financial assistance for legal aid when a member has been wrongly cited for improper well construction procedure.
- FGWA maintains a web site with information pertinent to the industry and an online directory of all FGWA members, so potential customers can locate reliable water well contractors.
- FGWA has supported and provided input regarding a uniform, state-wide online well permit application and completion report form.
- FGWA publishes a bi-monthly magazine to keep members informed of current topics of interest to the water well industry. FGWA also sends a monthly electronic newsletter to members to fill in the gaps between the magazines. This newsletter includes timely information on upcoming meetings, legislative issues and general industry announcements.
- The Continuing Education program is administered by FGWA, and not by a government agency which might not have the ground water industry’s best interests in mind.
- Since 1976, FGWA has granted over 132 college scholarships totaling over $109,000 to students who are relatives of FGWA members.
- FGWA is an affiliate state member of NGWA and supports their programs on national issues. FGWA members have worked with NGWA at the Washington, D.C. “Fly-In” to secure funding for a national well construction loan program.
- FGWA has donated thousands of dollars to several disaster relief funds for humanitarian assistance.